Football update 19/10/15

The big match of the weekend was the Senior footballers clash with Plunketts in the QF of the S.F.C. In a packed Parnell park there was nothing between the teams and it really highlighted the standard of Dublin club football where it can be the small things that can get you over the line. One could say that ‘one small thing’ was Dotsy O’Callaghan who burst into life in the final minutes to win a crucial free and score a vital point when we needed it most. Kerinsey, not to be outdone, did it again to have the last word scoring a great point off his left foot handing Boden a welcome semi-final spot against Clontarf on Sunday. Well done to all the panel and management on a great win.  See report by Paddy Walsh below.

We didn’t fare so well elsewhere over the weekend as the Inters fell to a heavy defeat to St.Marks and the Junior A’s game was conceded by Innisfails. The Junior B’s game is on Thursday on the all weather at 8pm.

Senior Football Championship Quarter Final

Ballyboden St Endas 1 – 12; St Oliver Plunkets/Eoghan Ruadh 1 – 11

Another epic battle but once again we came out on the right side of the result. An early point by Plunkets was cancelled by a pointed free by Andrew Kerin. This was followed by a well taken goal by Bernard Brogan, after 7 minutes, following a mix up in our backs. This seemed to have a positive impact on our players as two well taken points from play by Collie Basquel and Kerinsey again followed to leave us one point behind. Darren O’Reilly levelled matters midway through the half. Plunkets then scored three points in a row. Darragh Nelson  pulled one back before the best move of the match brought us an excellent goal. Michael Darragh Macauley hit a 40 yard pass over the heads of three Plunkets defenders who were watching Collie Basquel. Collie judged it perfectly and finished it to the back of the net. One point ahead. Plunkets closed out the half with two late points to leave it 1 – 6 to 1 – 5 in favour of Plunkets at half time.

Plunkets started the second half with two points within the first four minutes before Bob Dwan roamed forward from corner back to pull one back a minute later. Plunkets added another point as we approached the middle of the second half. A free by Ryan Basquel and excellent long range points by Sam Molony (who had replaced Sean Gibbons) and Conal Keaney brought the sides level. Dotsy O’Callaghan (who had replaced CollieBasquel) drew a free with five minutes remaining which Ryan Basquel popped over the bar and then Dotsy scored a great point to put us one head with normal time up. Plunkets equalised again and it looked like we were going to extra time before Kerinsey once again did the business for us by scoring a great point. The final whistle blew to our great relief and we can now look forward to the semi final.

TEAM: Paul Durcan; Bob Dwan; Stephen Hiney; Shane Clayton; Stephan O’Connor; Darragh Newson; Aran Waters; Michael Darragh Macauley; Declan O’Mahony; Darren O’Reilly; Ryan Basquel; Sean Gibbons; Collie Basquel; Conal Keaney; Andrew Kerin. SUBS used: Daniel Davey for Aran Waters (injured);Dotsy O’Callaghan for Collie Basquel; Donagh McCabe for Daniel Davey.

NB: Would the person who took a Ballyboden jacket from the lounge on Saturday night (with a Ballyboden woolly cap in the pocket) please return it to the club lounge.

Upcoming fixtures