Senior Championship 2018.

The perfect morning for the start of a championship game. A slight drizzle the night before coated the pitch with a layer of moisture. Both teams arrived on the pitch at 9.50, having warmed up across the road on Cherryfield. At 10.01 the whistle was blown; the 2018 Senior A Championship had begun.

It seemed like the perfect start was underway when Rachel Ruddy burst from the 45-metre line with the ball in hand and headed straight for goal, only for the crossbar to deny the centre forward the opening score of the game. Boden and Skerries swapped wides. Even though Boden seemed to be on top, it was Skerries who got their name on the score sheet first, with a fine point from play. However, it wasn’t long before Ruddy got the goal she was denied in the opening minute of play. A quick response from Skerries meant that the home side were only leading by one point. The next five minutes passed quickly as Boden seemed to have found their feet in the game, with Nagle tacking on two points and Aoife Tobin blasting the back of the net, when a high ball in from the midfield dropped dangerously around the square. Tobin looked menacing all day around the square, as another ball just went wide after Mairead Luttrell lobbed a free into the square. Boden found themselves in dangerous water when a free was conceded and brought forward 10 yards. The Skerries free taker optimized on the defensive error and struck the ball into the Boden net. The two teams swapped fine points from play, Boden’s coming from Eimear O’Leary, and there were wides a piece. The last ten minutes of the first half were extremely shaky from a Boden perspective. A crossfield ball to an unmarked forward, who was in for a one-on-one with Síle Nic Coitir. The ball was blasted into the back of the net. Boden found themselves, once again, a goal down, when Skerries got inside the defensive line and hand-passed the ball into the goal. Another point for Skerries, brought the half-time score to 3-4 to 2-3 to Skerries.

The Boden ladies were rearing and ready to go once the second half whistle blew. Hollyn Kennedy was an immediate impact for the home side as she forced a 45. Unfortunately, the scoring opportunity wasn’t converted. Eimear O’Leary was on the mark with her next two frees, one of which was won by tenacious attacking by Doireann Mullany, who was brought down on the 21-metre line. A great piece of play ended with Mullany adding her name to the scoresheet; a sideline chip from Tobin to Ruddy down the line, who flicked the ball onto Mullany running through the middle.  Another goal chance for Tobin, but a great save by the keeper denied the forward once again. The next ten minutes of play were fruitful for the ladies in blue. 1-3 was added to the scoreline; Tobin getting her second goal; Luttrell, Ruddy and Kennedy all keeping the points ticking over. A masterclass in goalkeeping was evident, as Nic Coitir’s long relieving puckouts ensured the forwards were supplied with brilliant balls and kept the Skerries defence under pressure. A particular mention to the Boden defence, who kept Skerries to only 2 points in the second half. A brilliantly fielded ball in the air by Grace Walsh, passed onto Mullany, who crossed the ball to Tobin, cleverly touched on, along the ground, to O’Leary, led to a fine point. The final passage of play incorporated a bit of football skills from Mullany. The ball was played in by Nagle to Aoife Durkin, who passed it to Kennedy. Kennedy passed it inside to O’Leary but was tackled, the ball fell to Mullany, who finished to the net with a fine kick of the sliotar. Final score 4-11 to 3-6 to Boden. A successful morning for the ladies; a tough and physical challenge from Skerries Harps which they met with tenacity, which will stand to them for the games ahead.

BBSE: Síle Nic Coitir, Eve O’Donoghue, Sue Kennedy, Hannah Leddy, Aoife Durkin, Hannah Hyland, Jane Edwards, Mairead Luttrell (0-1), Sarah Nagle (0-2), Dearbhla Brennan, Rachel Ruddy (1-1), Aisling Gargan, Eimear O’Leary (0-5, 0-3f), Aoife Tobin (2-0), Doireann Mullany (1-1), Aisling Byrne (45mins for Gargan), Sarah Keehan, Hollyn Kennedy (0-1) (30mins for Brennan), Aoife O’Neill, Grace Walsh (29mins for Edwards), Jodie White, Laura Nagle.

Intermediate Championship 2018.

Our Intermediate Championship got underway on Thursday 30th August with our first game away to Castleknock. While we had most of the possession in the first half we found it difficult to convert it to scores, with missed chances and only two scores from frees and one from play. We were dealt a blow just before half time when Castleknock netted a second goal from a ball that we failed to clear. Castleknock started the second half the strongest and with their full forward line getting three more goals and putting some daylight between the sides. The girls continued to battle recovered some ground but as the saying goes goals win matches and Castleknock were victorious with a 5-3 to 2-6 win.

Our second game was at home on Pairc Ui Mhurchú to St Pats on Thursday 6th September. We were second out of the block and were bombarded in defence by a strong St Pats side that managed to bah 6 gaols and six points in the first 30 minutes to our 1 3. We asked the girls to start fresh in the second half and to their credit that is what they did. The sliotar rarely left the St Pats side if the itch in the half here we outscored them 8 points to one. Their defence stood strong and we couldn’t penetrate their goal. St Pats deserving winners on a score line of 6-7 to 1-11.

Next up was Thomas Davis away on Thursday 13th September. We always have a good battle with our neighbours and this game didn’t disappoint. We dominated the first half with go open play and well executed scores where some points should have been converted to goals. Last score of the first half went to Thomas Davis from a scrappy ball that wasn’t cleared and found its way to the net, level at half time 1-4 to 0-7. There was some drama in the second half where the referee Shay Hurson suffered a knee injury and was unable to continue. We wish Shay a speedy recovery. The game was called off and has been re fixed for next Tuesday 18th September in Thomas Davis at 7.30pm.

On Sunday morning 16th September we played a courageous Lucan side that were under strength due to injuries and player unavailability. With a numerical advantage Boden scores came from a number of players and the game was well and truly over at half time. To their credit the Lucan girls didn’t drop their heads and continued to be competitive to the final whistle.

U-16 A Championship – vs. Faughs – 15th Sept. ’18 – Páirc Ui Murchú

BBSE                      6-7  Faughs                  4-4

Our U-16 camogie girls hosted neighbours Faughs in Páirc Ui Murchú on Saturday knowing that victory would qualify them for the semi-final. However matches against Faughs are invariably nip and tuck, so we knew we could take nothing for granted.

Lucy O’Shea opened the scoring with a point but Faughs then levelled with a pointed free. A long-range free from Katie then crept inside the post for a goal and Lucy O Connor extended the lead to four with a great point. Faughs then scored two points, before Clodagh steadied the ship with a goal following a great delivery from Lucy O Connor. A goal from Mia and a couple of Katie points seemed to provide some breathing space, but a goal on the stroke of half time served as a timely reminder to us that this game was far from over.

That left us 3-4 to 1-3 up at half time.

The second half opened with Mia finishing a Lucy O’Connor centre to the net. Then Katie pointed after Erin had been fouled and Julie and Ciara Doyle knocked over a brace of points, with a point from Faughs in response. We then appeared to make the game relatively safe with a further goal, but two quick Faughs goals had our supporters biting their nails and checking their watches. Then Ciara Kelleher got possession, beat her marker with some lovely stick work and found the back of the Faughs net. Faughs finished the scoring with a late goal but the final whistle sounded soon after to leave us winners, and looking forward to a final group game against Lucan next week, to be followed by a championship semi-final.