Result: 4-11 to 4-12

“The Return of Shambo”
Wow – another roller coaster of a game for the Ballyboden intermediate football team on a very non Spring-like evening in Bohernabreena. The first midweek game of the season saw Boden visit our neighbours in the foothills. It was gloomy, cold and breezy but both teams served a thriller. The scoring graph tells a story of nip and tuck and it certainly was that. Boden were first out of the blocks and in the early exchanges converted 2-2; the goals coming from the boot and fist of Seamus. It was end to end and despite the scoreline both teams’ defences enjoyed periods of dominance. The second quarter witnessed a home team revival and the sides were all square at the break.
The second half opened in much the same way as the first with Boden getting early goals from Mikey and Cian. Again we were pegged back and a goal in the 49th minute from the penalty spot put the home team in front. With the fading light spectators were seen reaching for their infra-red goggles just to see where the players were. In the closing minutes the teams traded points with Seamus knocking over three frees in a row and Mark pointing a long range free in the 31st minute to put us ahead. The closing minutes seemed to go on forever and in the 34th and 35th minute the home team popped over a couple of points. Unfortunately Boden’s final effort fell short and the referee sounded the hooter.
It was a disappointing defeat but on the positive side the team maintained a serious challenge to an Anne’s team in search of promotion. There were impressive performances from David and Lewis but the MVP goes to Shambo who on his return to competitive adult football scored 2-4.
Mark McNamee, Keith Sweeney, Graham Heavey, Karl Reddy, David Leach (Oisin Carolan 53′), Scott Cullen, Ciaran Archbold, David Hayes, Luke O’Donoghue, Karl Weldon (Mikey Dunne 30′), Evan Flanagan (Neil Hester 45′), Ruairi Kirwan (Daragh Kilduff 48′), Mikey Dunne, Seamus Keane, Cian Bates. Subs not used: Stephen McGrath, James O’Hara
Fógra: thanks to the umpire Harry Reddy whose eyesight was not found wanting and whose watch vibrated vigorously when the ball crossed the line.
Fógra eile: thanks to Eoin Dunne for stepping in to the management team (for the day)