Result: 2-10 to 0-13

This was always going to be a tough encounter for the JBs and it certainly did not disapoint. Raheny are a tough outfit but our training sessions were reflective of this,hard but fair. The setting was perfect in St Annes park,barely a breeze and the pitch in perfect condition. The atmosphere in the Boden ranks was tense,yet an air of positivity was circulating throughout the panel. The game finally got under way , the talking was over. It was Raheny who tagged on the first two points after they were first to react to the loose ball. In fact it was only after the opposition sent over four unanswered points that the JBs finally kicked into gear. The beauty of this team is that they never panic,stick to the game plan and keep a cool head. James McTiernan sent the ball high for a point after some excellent off the shoulder play. Vinnie Moran in midfield was abely assisted by Jamie Kavanagh and both set about stamping  their authority on the game. Jamie sent in a low ball for Eoghan Buckley who stooped,gathered and turned with the ball with one thing on his mind. From an acute angle he split the posts. Ian Clarke at half back was using all that know how and after a great interception set Bradley up for the first of his two points. Donal Mccarthy has been operating on another level all season and his burst of pace had the beating of his man. After collecting a great ball in from James he bore down on goal and drew in the Raheny defence. He spotted Lynchy running into the open space and hand passed over the Raheny defence. At pace,Ian latched on the the ball and sent a rocket of a shot into the back of the net. Before half time Ian took his tally to 2-1 after a battling display,a player very much in form. By the time the referee blew for half time the JBs were 2-6 to 0-9 in front. A slim lead but a lead all the same. Oranges and water were had as instructions were given out. We needed to be more clinical in front of goal,a bit more aggressive in the tackle. Cian Kelly was brought on for the injured Murphy. We were going to need his pace in this half for sure. The second half was a much more tight affair. Raheny were putting our defence under pressure. Michael Dunne was having an excellent game and his reading of the game is a sight to see. After collecting the ball ,he was instrumental in Bodens attack time after time. Vinnie Moran sent over two frees to keep the pressure on Raheny. But Boden don’t like doing things the easy way at times and allowed the opposition to get foothold in the game.

We were taking too much out of the ball and just weren’t our usual clinical self in front of goal. However we were dogged in the tackle,our defence were having a huge say in this game. Aaron O Reilly came on in the defence and helped massively in working the ball out of danger. The ball was now been worked out a pace and we were back in our groove. Young Colum Reade came in after Lynch had given his all and helped keep possession up front. Adrian Minnock was another player who quickly settled into the speed of the game and helped out in defence. Raheny were putting us under fierce pressure with minutes to go. Pocession football  was the call yet again from management. Often a keepers hard work can go unnoticed, outfield players getting all the glory. The JBs have a star in Alan Keane and he pulled of an unbelievable save time keep us in the game. With seconds to go,the Raheny number 13 brilliantly caught a high ball and bore down on Bodens goal and let a thunder bolt of a shot. It had goal all over it,this would of leveled the game and extra time. Alan stood his ground and put out his right arm and pushed the ball away  from danger. Ross collected the loose ball and as he advanced up the field,the referee blew his whistle. Game over,through to the next round. A huge sigh of relief. As I’ve always said,we’ll take the win,take the positives and march on. These Men can be proud of this hard fought victory. Up next is Kilmacud in the Cup,the teams focus now. I must mention Enda Daly who gave a stellar performance despite been out with a serious injury for nearly over a month now.
Boden Abu.
Report by Martin O Donnell.