Senior football championship v St Vincentss, Páirc Naomh Uinsionn, 5 August 2020

Ballyboden St Endas 5 – 11  St Vincents 1 – 17

With 10 minutes gone in this match the figures were, 9 wides to Vincents, 1 wide to Boden. This slow start could have had the team in real trouble if the Vincents forwards had their shooting boots on. Despite the home side’s dominance at this early stage it was the visitors that got the first score, a long-range point by Alan Flood after a patient build up. This was followed by a Darren O’Reilly point following a good run by Darragh Nelson. Then Michael Darragh and Alan Flood did the hard work and Alan found Colm Basquel who finished coolly to the net: 1 – 2 to no score. The home team got their first scores as Mossy Quinn converted two frees and Vins added another from play before the water break. After the break, Vincents continued where they left off and added two points from play to bring the sides level. It could have been worse if Darragh Gogan hadn’t brought off a great save to deny what looked like a certain goal. Having gone 10 minutes without a score, Warren Egan came to the rescue with a good point before Colm Basquel was again at the end of a good move involving Alan Flood, to finish to the net. Each side scored three points before half time, Boden’s coming from Conal Keaney, Colm Basquel (free) and Ross McGarry. One of the Vincents points could have easily been a goal when Mossy Quinn had only the keeper to beat but he blasted over the bar. At the other end, Alan Flood found himself one-on-one with the Vincents keeper but Michael Savage made a good save. The half time score was 2 – 6 to 0 – 8.

At the start of the second half, two quick points from Vincents were followed by a Colm Basquel free from near the 50 metre line, and then the home team added three more to bring the sides level with just 7 minutes gone. Kieran Kennedy, although playing at corner back, was eventually rewarded for his many runs forward when he pointed and this was quickly followed by another Warren Egan point, this time with his left boot. The Boden subs then showed what they can do when, first, Simon Lambert found the back of the net following a good run by Brian Bobbett. A Michael Darragh effort at a fisted point hit the cross bar but it was recycled to Warren Egan who fed Donogh McCabe and he fired to the net from distance. In between the two goals, Vincents had got a point and after the goals, Colm Basquel popped over a long-range free from close to the side-line. But the subs weren’t finished, as, after Vincents scored another point, Tom Hayes found the net; the hard-working Ross McGarry kept the ball in play near the side-line, 40 yards out, and fed Tom. Tom’s first effort was saved but Conal Keaney retrieved the ball and passed to Tom who made no mistake the second time. Vincents managed a late goal and two points, the last from a close-in free that was diverted over the bar by Darragh Gogan when Mossy Quinn went for goal. As he did in the first half, Ross McGarry brought the scoring to a close with a long-range point.

TEAM: Darragh Gogan. Kieran Kennedy, Shane Clayton, Cathal Flaherty, James Holland, Robbie McDaid, Darragh Nelson, Michael Darragh Macauley, Declan O’Mahony, Alan Flood, Warren Egan, Darren O’Reilly, Ross McGarry, Colm Basquel, Conal Keaney. SUBS USED: Brian Bobbett, Simon Lambert, Donogh McCabe, Tom Hayes, Ciarán O’Reilly. Other panel members: Cian Murray, Shane Durkin, Tom Hanifin, Jake Turley, Bob Dwan, Ryan Basquel, Aran Waters, Stephen O’Connor.

Posted by BodenGAA on Wednesday, 5 August 2020