Result: 1-11 to 2-06

The first league match of the 2019 campaign could not come soon enough – the preparation had been completed at training and in the early season challenge games and the squad was ready to go.

On a fresh blustery morning the Boden squad assembled in the newly refurbished home dressing room. Some late changes in personnel were required due to injury and illness. The match started with Boden playing with the aid of a strong breeze into the Cremorne end and with that wind created a number of scoring chances which either fell short or into the keeper’s hands. While the play was encouraging the opposition kept us on our toes when they moved the ball swiftly up the pitch.The first score came after six minutes in the form of a point off the boot of Mikey Dunne. Further chances were were wasted by both teams until Ballymun knocked over a point in the sixteenth minute. This was followed a minute later by a Ballymun goal following some loose defending. Unfortunately in the scramble for the goal our goalkeeper, Ste McGrath picked up an injury and was replaced between the sticks by the versatile Oisin Carolan. After the setback Boden responded positively and took a grip on the game. Hard work in the middle sector by Dave and Johnny was establishing a platform for our attacks. Eventually in the space of two minutes Mikey clipped over a brace. This was followed by a Boden goal in the 25th minute from the boot of Evan after some intricate inter-passing down the middle. The half was finished off with a point for the visitors and a Boden point from Mono leaving the half-time score at 1-4 to 1-2 in favour of the home side.
After a number of substitutions the northsiders started the second half the more lively and quickly knocked over a point. Boden now playing into the breeze then responded with a period of sustained pressure which saw them notch over four points in quick sucession – two from Oisin (who had been replaced in goal by Archie) and one each from Ev and Dylan. The point from Ev followed a slick quick series of interpassing that ended in Mikey’s shot rebounding off the bar to Ev who fisted it over from a tight angle. At the other end Boden continued to smother Ballymun attacks with Fionn and Keith marking tightly and competing fiercely. Karl continued to mind the house. Cathal, Johnny and Scott marshalled the half-back line with relentless disciplined tackling. In the middle Neil and Oisin matched and largely subdued their opponents.
After the dynamic fleet-footed Ciaran clipped over a point the visitors responded with a point which was quickly followed by a goal in the 20th minute and another point a minute later.The margin was down to two points and the game was in the balance. Dylan was soon replaced by Tommy in the 23rd minute in an attempt to steady the ship. The margin was reduced to the minimum in the 28th minute of the half but Johnny responded immediately with a delightful point.
After one minute of injury time the referee Tommy Clinton blew the whistle giving Boden a much prized home win.
Fógra: best wishes to team mentor Mick Maher who is recovering from a recent illness
1. Stephen McGrath (replaced by Oisin Carolan 17′ minute)
2. Fionn Maguire
3. Karl Reddy
4. Keith Sweeney
5. John Murphy
6. Scott Cullen
7. Dylan Walsh (Tommy Burke 53′)
8. Neil Hester
9. Ciaran Archbald
10. David Leech
11. Evan Flanagan
12. Ciaran O’Reilly
13. Mikey Dunne
14. Eoghan Monahan
15. Cathal O’Dea
Subs not used:
Karl Weldon (inj), John McGinn, Mark Walsh, Seamus Keane